Winter DOA shrimp? Give them a 2nd chance!

Been a while since we had this reminder put out there, but since this is winter....

I recently had an order of shrimp come in that looked dead.  On their backs, legs up, water very very cold.

From all outward appearances, they looked DOA.  But, having had this happen before, I went to my old standby- and now all the shrimp "resurrected" and are doing fine.

In case anyone needs the info, the steps to take are very simple.

• Take the bags out, and photograph the shrimp (send it to the seller) in case this doesn't work this time.

• Set the bags of DOA shrimp on your stand and forget about them for 24 hours.  By doing this the water is able to very slowly warm up to room temperature.

• Examine the bags the next day and see if your shrimp rose from the dead since water is now at room temp.  If so, drip acclimate as usual.

So why can this happen?

Shrimp have the physiology to slow down their body metabolism according to temperature.  If the water is very cold, they may be comatose.  Yes, they give the appearance of being dead.  Cards can even appear orange, believe it or not! 

Why not add room temperature water into the bag immediately?

Because the shock to the system may kill them!  Think of coming inside from shoveling the snow.  Even room temperature water run over your hands feels like extremely hot water.  This is the same reason in the hospital they don't warm someone up instantly.  You run the risk of cardiac arrest and death.

So to everyone that may receive a bag of DOA shrimp in the winter- You may be correct!  However instead of throwing out the shrimp immediately, give this technique a chance first.  Even if it only works on a small percent of shipments, you may be pleasantly surprised by the outcome.

good info, I also have had this happen. they basically freeze just not to death, as colder temps are met they slowly become less active and as Soothing Shrimp said they may be comatose.

good stuff to let other know, let this technique play out first u may be surprise that they survive.

hmm, very interesting. Fortunate for me, I wont really every have to deal with it as it doesn't get cold enough in Orange County, but very good information Soothing to share with those of our members who live where the temps actually drop that low.

(sometimes I am a little jealous of not experiencing really cold temps, then I watch the news and decided that... having a lot of sunshine ain't so bad)

hmm, very interesting. Fortunate for me, I wont really every have to deal with it as it doesn't get cold enough in Orange County, but very good information Soothing to share with those of our members who live where the temps actually drop that low.

(sometimes I am a little jealous of not experiencing really cold temps, then I watch the news and decided that... having a lot of sunshine ain't so bad)

Your the type of people I hate!

Im messing, your not missing much believe me. after 15 mins the most outside you would hate it.

stay where your at,.

Yes that is a great idea.  I used to get mine from the US and it took 3 days sometimes before they arrived, bags would be very cold. 

Ive never lost a whole bag of them, maybe one or two.  What I used to do was just pop the bag (regular bag not Kordon breather) in the tank and let it float in there for a while.  I did open the bag up to let air in, but not water.  Mostly after 30 mins the shrimps were moving around enough to transfer them to the breeder box for quarantine (pump was unplugged so water from main tank wasn't going into the box) 

Thanks to Soothing for posting this.

I did this with my shipment of pintos this week....water was 52F in the bag....they were all lifeless just hanging in the moss and I couldn't tell if they were dead or not, so I opened the bag and poured them into a bigger container and just let it sit in the room for around an hour....temp gauge was checked every 15 mins and slowly came up to 68F, they were moving around at this temp so I put them up near the light over the tank and let them stay there overnight.  Next am when I turned the light on they all jumped around, so I popped in a tiny piece of snowflake and they were all over it....tiny zebra pinto babies included.   Don't give up on them just because they look dead.  If they haven't turned pink, there's still hope.