Do Amanos...

That's great news!  Thanks!  I have a tank that is being redone, and they can have it for their home then. :)

I throw out so much moss due to hair algae, etc that I'm trying something new.  I'm receiving 5 amanos, giving them their own 10g tank, and going to move mosses back and forth to that tank when needed from other tanks.  They can thrive by eating the algae, the moss can be saved, and I'm able to have a living ecosystem in place. :)

Will do for the lid. :)

As for supplemental feeding, when I fed mine other food before- they stopped eating hair algae.  They liked the supplemental better and had nothing to do with algae anymore.  So now, it will be an algae diet unless I see something going wrong. ;)

I tried rotating mosses in with amanos for minor hair algae cleanup (also tried it with BBA)......my lazy amanos never touched the stuff. I wasn't feeding in the tank but they still never had a noticeable effect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine refused to. The otos wouldn't either and I do not want to add flag fish. The amanos also seem to not eat hair algae (may hit that with local H2O2).

So the swords got a pruning. Hopefully that fixes it, I do not want it showing up on my Madagascar lace.

• 4 months later...

OK, just to update - I take it back.

My Amanos ate BBA when it was small and tufty on the edges of my new sword plant. But now I have a HUGE growth on my driftwood, with a totally different morphology, and getting bigger every day. And the shrimp have zero interest :(

IMG_2840.jpg

OK, just to update - I take it back.

My Amanos ate BBA when it was small and tufty on the edges of my new sword plant. But now I have a HUGE growth on my driftwood, with a totally different morphology, and getting bigger every day. And the shrimp have zero interest [emoji20]

IMG_2840.jpg

You need a 2-3 day black out! You're shrimp and plants will be chill, but not the algae! Hehe. Maybe peroxide spot treat before! Good luck, that's some gnarly algae. o.O

• 1 month later...

Hi soothing shrimp.   I have a 90g that has been battling BBA (and at one time hair algae) for about 2 years.  I've tried just about everything I could think of to get the tank back.  It used to be so beautiful....I saw a vid I took of it in its good days,  and I couldn't believe it was the same tank.  If anyone thinks Sarah's BBA is gnarly, my tank was a total disaster! 

Through my experience with it (the 90g is the only tank with BBA), I have come to the conclusion that it's best to get to to the cause of the issue first, because BBA is a real PITA to deal with in a heavily planted tank, especially if it gets a good hold.  And it really ruins the plants, smothering the plant leaves until they fall off.

I've tried spot h202, h202 complete tank dosage, Excel, manual removal.....the BBA kept coming back until I took a good look at the tank. 

IME, I had too much light on the tank since I don't have use pressurized co2.  I knew that when the tank had green spot and green hair algae.  I reduced the lighting (changed fixtures) and the green spot and hair algae stopped.  But the BBA was still rampant, I mean,  ALL over the DW, and definitely on slower growing plants like crinum calasmistratum.  I had to remove any plants like anubias, and I wouldn't even try java fern in there.   So,  I started planting with what did well in the tank instead of trying to grow specific fancy plants.  Any plants that got covered in BBA, I took out, and any that show signs of being infested,  I chop away.  I've had to cut the rotala down several times.   Fast growing plants help too instead of slow growing ones, so lots of stem plants or floating plants. 

Then,  I cut the photoperiod down even more (along with light intensity already) and added a siesta.  Around the same time,  I added four amano shrimp and recently 6 more. 

The BBA started to turn reddish and bright red.  It was then that I saw the BN plecos all over the DW.  I do have floating (dislodged) BBA still, and sometimes it attaches to my substrate in the line of my filter flow output, but overall,  I can see my DW again! 

There are angelfish in the tank as well,  so the amanos hide during the day,  but I'm guessing they eat the BBA too, since there's been such an improvement. 

I'll post a recent pic of the 90g, so you can see which plants I went with and I hope what I wrote makes sense.  The tank probably still looks gnarly to most of you,  but beleive me, if I find a before pic of the tank, all of you will be entirely appalled!

*I'm still trying to grow my dwarf sag foreground carpet back tho!

20160719_205259.png

BTW, I wasn't feeding the BN or shrimp all this time.  There is a pair of breeding BNs and some of their babies, and all the bellies were round until recently.

My mama BN shocked me when put her belly to the tank glass, it was sucken in!  Only her though.  I started feeding pleco veggie rounds now, thinking they didn't have enough food anymore, but the babies all have round bellies and the male too, so something must have happened to her, or maybe it's normal after a spawn?   Anyway, after someone mentioned how the shrimp weren't interested in algae after supplementing foods,  I think the best idea would be to put her in a hospital tank for a little while.