Soothing's Vampire Vivarium

Soothing Shrimp

The idea of keeping DHG in a vivarium (or aquarium) setup like that picture seems like expert-level 9000 only.

You're the man for the job.  Very interesting watching your brain in motion :)  Keep us posted.

Have you considered liverwort family stuff?  I struggle to find anything that grows with the vigor of liverworts.

I used to have an emersed setup to serve as a plant bank and grew dhg in it. It grew slower emersed for me than submerged. It wil also slump over when wet enough. But to get it to carpet like in your rendering you'll need to start off with alot and plant it in a tight grid pattern. I actually found my dhg at petsmart.

The idea of keeping DHG in a vivarium (or aquarium) setup like that picture seems like expert-level 9000 only.

You're the man for the job.  Very interesting watching your brain in motion :)  Keep us posted.

Have you considered liverwort family stuff?  I struggle to find anything that grows with the vigor of liverworts.

I know almost nothing about plants, Shrimple.  Which plant is hard and which is easy is not in my knowledge. heh

I'll look up some liverworts and see what I find. Thanks for the tip!

• 1 month later...

I'm hesitant to provide information I'm unsure of atm. 

There's a ton of wc vampires, but 90% or more die.  Others are home bred, but sometimes don't have the bright colors.

Bob's tropical has them (mixed reviews on there as a seller), and Alpha pro has them.

I'm still setting up my viv.  I started with the idea of a 10 gallon, but I have these 3g long acrylic tanks I haven't done anything with.  I think I'll use that instead, and go the plain and simple route.

My plans with the carved styro just won't work as vampires like to burrow and dig.  Plus, the only time they use water is for molting, so no use having a large area for that either.

i did a lot of research on these guys a few years ago.. 

i spoke to Zach from Joshfrogs, dart frog store.. he recommended mixing riverbed sand.. with coco huck.. like like up for 4" deep.. keep it very moist.. they burrow down.. 

http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/riverbed_sand.php
^^ this is the sand i got.. 

but, things happen.. and never got around to putting together my 20g long for vampire crabs.. :(

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/

^^ this is the Main Dart Frog forum.. they know ALOT about Vivariums and builds.. 

I'm hesitant to provide information I'm unsure of atm. 

There's a ton of wc vampires, but 90% or more die.  Others are home bred, but sometimes don't have the bright colors.

Bob's tropical has them (mixed reviews on there as a seller), and Alpha pro has them.

I'm still setting up my viv.  I started with the idea of a 10 gallon, but I have these 3g long acrylic tanks I haven't done anything with.  I think I'll use that instead, and go the plain and simple route.

My plans with the carved styro just won't work as vampires like to burrow and dig.  Plus, the only time they use water is for molting, so no use having a large area for that either.

The problem is that they seem to live for few weeks than just die .

Pet store I go to had them but like you stated they were WC not CB so they died and the owner knows what she is doing .

She had them in soil type terrarium and a litter pan with water and driftwood  .  It was nice and they seemed to thrive and like it but in less than 2 months all had perished .

Hi Soothing,

Vampire crabs are very easy creatures to keep. It is best to have a 50/50 setup where the crabs can soak in water as well as have dry land to hide.

I'd recommend keeping the setup as simple as possible, and I also know a couple vampire crab keepers that have successfully bred them in just sand substrate, leaf litter, and a dish of water type of setup.

Here is a link to one of my favourite setups that first inspired me to keep vampire crabs.

210505.jpg

You can read up more on the setup here.

http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372945

Also, not forgetting my very own setup. Not as spectacular as the first link, but hey, its just an office tank setup.

2016-03-15_18.15.55_original.jpg

You can read more about it here.

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum/showthread.php/121775-My-first-vivarium

Hope this helps to get a better idea for your setup. Cheers!

Just bought 3 female vampire crabs during lunch. They look dull and not as brightly coloured as the male counterpart.
Vampire crabs are easily available at this part of the world and they cost only about USD3 each.

post-3657-0-57204100-1458280222_thumb.jp

Just to share my personal experience, the only times I lost vampire crabs are when they are overly stressed from transporting back from the LFS, and also when they start to fight with each other. Its really important to acclimatize them properly into their new homes. I usually lose them a few days after purchase. Those that survived the first week can live for months.

I'm no expert in keeping vampire crabs but if you have any queries I would be glad to answer / help.