water leak?!

sarah

I just came back to my tank after 6 days away, and 1/4 of the water is gone.

There is no water on the table right now, but there clearly was a leak because the floor has signs of a dried puddle. I can feel a small amount of moisture under the front right corner of the tank, but it is definitely not gushing out. TDS has not changed, so this is not an evaporation issue.

Is there a way to save this tank?? It is so well-established and heavily-carpeted that I can't even imagine how I would start a new tank and move everything (and all the babies) over :(

Can anyone help advise?

If it's a seal issue near the base, there is no way to reseal it without emptying the tank... right?

Yea if its leaking on the bottom you're better off buying a new tank. My son cracked my 10 gallon on the bottom and there was no way to fix it without emptying the whole thing.

Yea if its leaking on the bottom you're better off buying a new tank. My son cracked my 10 gallon on the bottom and there was no way to fix it without emptying the whole thing.

This is a nightmare :(

How on earth do you move everything over? How do you get all the babies?

Can someone coach me through all the steps please? I can go buy everything I need over the next couple days. Hope it holds up till then...

Make a little trap out of a water bottle. Cut the top off, flipit upupside down and place it inside the bottom part. Toss in a piece of food and they'll find they're way in. The bigger the bottle the better. Move the shrimp to a holding tank, bare bottom, and place everything from your old tank in there as well. Like cholla wood etc. Get a bucket for your plants and substrate. Even if you plan on using new substrate, keep the bucket around for a couple of days checking often for babies. Might be missing a few things since my kids are all over me right now. But hope everything goes well!

Was the temperature of the house reduced when you were gone?  If so it could be there was condensation on the tank due to temp. difference.  I have seen water migrate 15 feet before dripping from the lowest spot in a joist from a shower leak. Hoping for you that's all it was.   ,,,,,Mike

OK, looks like I'm getting a new tank :(

I'm praying that Soothing is right and I may have a little time to work with. I am dripping in water to bring the level back up, and watching for any leaks.

I am hoping to buy a new 10 gallon tank and a new bag of eco complete today. Will set it up next to the original tank and fill with all new water. I'll move my aquaclear filter over to start it up (leaving behind the double-sponge filter, or maybe the other way around is better?). I know the eco complete can make the water cloudy at first, so will leave it with filter for a few days until I try to move all the shrimp.

I am hoping if I move filters and plants, cholla, rocks, etc that I will not have an issue with ammonia/mini cycle.

you might want to pick up one of those little bottles that help cycle a tank. the more bacteria and stuffs the better to get the tank up and running. Make sure the tank cycles though as you do not want to lose your shrimp, though your filters and plants should help you out.

If it was leaking but stopped around the 3/4 mark, isn't it likely that the leak is somewhere near this level on one of the corners?  The fact that it was leaking but then stopped leaking has me wondering.

Once re-filled you may be able to spot the leak if it continues...........

Wishing you best of luck........hoping you can save your existing tank Sarah

Thanks, everyone!

So I ran out and bought a new tank and heater. They didn't have eco complete so I would need to order it online.

As I'm driving back to my office it occurs to me that I cleaned out all the HOB filter media when I was last in the office. I took everything out and rinsed it in DI and put in back. MAYBE I didn't put the filter basket in fully, and this caused water to flow over the top. Or maybe it wasn't angled correctly and dripped out. This is a definite possibility.

Either way, the leak seems to be no more. I have been dripping water in for a few hours now, and it is almost back at its original level. No leaks YET.

Here's hoping that I can just go back and return this new tank!

Thanks, everyone!

So I ran out and bought a new tank and heater. They didn't have eco complete so I would need to order it online.

As I'm driving back to my office it occurs to me that I cleaned out all the HOB filter media when I was last in the office. I took everything out and rinsed it in DI and put in back. MAYBE I didn't put the filter basket in fully, and this caused water to flow over the top. Or maybe it wasn't angled correctly and dripped out. This is a definite possibility.

Either way, the leak seems to be no more. I have been dripping water in for a few hours now, and it is almost back at its original level. No leaks YET.

Here's hoping that I can just go back and return this new tank!

That has happened to me before.