Powdered snowflake?

Good idea! Do you use a mortar and pestle to grind up the snowflake?

I often mix pellet food together and add supplements  and grind it all up this way. Didn't think about the snowflake though!

What are these snowflake foods generally made out of anyway?

From what little I have seen, I think the main "snowflake effect" ingredient is Soybean hulls/husk.

Surely there must be a much cheaper source than the ones marketed as Shrimp food, like some rabbit pellets (or other little furry creatures). Anyone know a cheaper source for practically the same food?

2 hours ago, Soothing Shrimp said:

I think lots of us like to play it safe.  We work too hard on our shrimp to take too many chances. ;)

this!

I'd rather spend a few $ on foods developed for our shrimps vs losing expensive shrimp trying to save a $ on alternative foods from unknown places/ingredients.

7 hours ago, ShrimpP said:

Hmm, I know some people who have fed non-organic Alfalfa rabbit pellets to their shrimp with no issues. Will try to source some organic feeds to be safe though.

I read it somewhere this... :)

Never trying..

I try GlasGarten  snowflakes...

One pelet is very big for shrimps.

I cut one in small pieces and give it to 8 tanks. :)

It need something to use because most of it go in substrate.

They break up pretty easy between fingers.  My one OTO cat loves the snow, so I need to as my daughter says "Let is snow" in there by grinding them between fingers a few times and sprinkle into the tank so the shrimp get most of it. 

On 4/24/2016 at 10:33 PM, ShrimpP said:

What are these snowflake foods generally made out of anyway?

From what little I have seen, I think the main "snowflake effect" ingredient is Soybean hulls/husk.

Surely there must be a much cheaper source than the ones marketed as Shrimp food, like some rabbit pellets (or other little furry creatures). Anyone know a cheaper source for practically the same food?

Sourcing organic soybean hull is difficult. I tried and pretty much every company that sells it doesn't have it organic. 

Soybean hull is very very cheap.

If my memory serves me right, it's like $10-$20 depending on company for 50lbs of soybean hull. Sadly none that I reached out to have it organic and may have pesticides. 

7 hours ago, OMG Aquatics said:

Sourcing organic soybean hull is difficult. I tried and pretty much every company that sells it doesn't have it organic. 

Soybean hull is very very cheap.

If my memory serves me right, it's like $10-$20 depending on company for 50lbs of soybean hull. Sadly none that I reached out to have it organic and may have pesticides. 

Just a little extra too scare everyone.  % of crops grown in the US that are GMOs (2012 data)   corn 88%,soybeans 93%.canola (oil) 90%, cotton (oil) 94%  and hers a strange one Hawaiian grown papaya 75%.  Like to say to enjoy your dinner but I can't say it with a straight face.  70% of all processed foods contain GMO products

On a good note contact your states Organic Cert. program and get the names of people who grow the crops your looking for.  I can get individual crops as well as feed that is organic and non.GMO with prices around 10% higher then commercial grains.  Money goes to the farmer as well.