Finally! Berried Nessie.

So the other night I noticed one of my (still pretty young) female nessies with a very prominent saddle next to a fresh molt. Needless to say, I was very excited and kept a close eye. Tonight I noticed her on the sponge of the filter with her swimmerettes fanned. I tried to get a better look, hoping she was depositing her eggs. I had to wait it out, but later I noticed her hiding between a rock and sponge with a few berries, then more! I haven't ever witnessed a shrimp depositing its eggs. It was pretty slow and uneventful... but still a very exciting first for me! A few minutes ago I noticed her feeding so I took a couple quick shots! Here she is, first time momma:

08f465f36e170af167f8120e6252631e.jpg

16f75d795e5ad27351c39a738a1cce75.jpg

28 days and counting...crossing fingers she doesn't drop them!

Too Cool !  She looks to have a ton of eggs.  And a very pretty shrimp.  Hopefully I'll get enough experience to have acquire these shrimp in the future. 

Thanks guys! Hoping to get tons of pretty little ones from her. I noticed another saddled female this morning too! She's very small as well. Will keep updating.

Too Cool !  She looks to have a ton of eggs.  And a very pretty shrimp.  Hopefully I'll get enough experience to have acquire these shrimp in the future. 

Right?? She is packed with eggs and she's so tiny! Only about half an inch. I was thinking she may be a male until she saddled up. It's crazy.

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations!! That is awesome, look forward to seeing the offspring and how the coloration compares.

Congratulations!! That is awesome, look forward to seeing the offspring and how the coloration compares.

As Bryce mentioned, they throw all sorts of different patterns in each clutch. I'm just excited they're happy and breeding!

Mama still berried, hiding like crazy, but I caught her eating this morning, when I came back to take a picture, she had retreated into the myrio and alder cone forest.

d0c053dea997e5b992137bfaee207ff5.jpg

Edit:

Caught her out again but I only got one before she ran away again! lol.

b70b1ab206c09495697e8476072ebfbb.jpg

Edit #2:

3d86e7a1a18956bb03bbb91eff7a4719.jpg

59bdca4e833ba567b88516b4924df83d.jpg

This marks day 14 after the berried Nessie appeared. Half way there! Expecting on the 22nd give or take a few days! She appears to have a lot of eggs still. Hoping she didn't drop any so far. But again, ran away as soon as I could take a couple (with my new chinacheepo $12 clip on wide angle/macro/fisheye combo iPhone lens, so sorry for the focus being off in some).

She's also starting to get a very pronounced racing stripe, characteristic of female neos. Does it happen more when they're berried? She didn't have it before but now it's seriously golden and beautiful. Maybe she was just young? Is the 24K gene showing itself in Nessies?

a73c0da95eb486e724f5494a2a171e28.jpg

1c65d72afb7be02e788870069aefcaff.jpg

0193ca4c3184fff220311121fff5ff55.jpg

b588fad644edb30f50ace9c787233392.jpg

ab2766e4e1c14d5d163780048ff196d2.jpg

Looking great!  Nessies are a weird strain.  The weirdest I've every worked with.  Definitely one of the most beautiful though.

Unlike some other striped neos, some Nessie stripes are triggered by hormonal changes from being berried, is my guess.  I've seen that happen before with some of them after eggs.

• 2 weeks later...

Update. So the last time I saw the Nessie berried was Thursday night after that I wasn't sure if I was seeing a different Nessie or she had dropped her eggs because it seemed early for her to give birth. Anyway, in the midst of dealing with a fiasco of rescuing 7 TBs/tangtais/pintos (so far, there are at least 3 more but it's too cloudy and I can't find them) from the sump portion of my 3 gallon, I took a break and watched my other shrimp. To my surprise I saw at least 3 little Nessie shrimplets in the feeding dish. There are probably a bunch more, but they're already mobile and feeding so she must have been berried a few days earlier than I originally thought. WOOO! First Nessie clutch!

Three in the dish.

fa8340ec875deeb3745b4d8ad97d05b8.jpg

There's one near the middle if you look really hard. Definitely under a week old.

eca0f49091219a1a7ed712c39ebc568a.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Saw lots of little nessies today. Shrimplets seem to be doing well. They're are some that are very light blue, then a bunch in shades of green. They're still very small, but I think you can see them.

ba784b6b1ccd3d56fbed28d6a076c867.jpg

a08afc7678643173aaadaacf71b8cbaa.jpg

923c1db33f2d86cab432f39d23e2898b.jpg

Wow! Where did you acquire your Nessie shrimp? They're absolutely stunning! Grats on shrimplets :) 

• 3 weeks later...

This is the part that gets weird.  Some blue will change to green, a small percentage stay blue, some greens change to blue with the lights off and back again with light on.  Almost impossible to tell which is which.  The nice thing is Nessie x Nessie = Nessie, so the green coloration carries on.

@ohmiko They're one of the strains I created after years of work. :-) 

I have to admit though, they are the weirdest strain I've ever worked with!  Their genetic rules just don't seem to follow anything I've seen before.  Fluctuation of color, different grades in the same batch of berries- In my experiments, even Nessie x Wild will wind up mostly Nessies by 2nd generation.  This is the only strain I've heard of that is dominant over wild!

On 8/3/2016 at 9:04 AM, Soothing Shrimp said:

@ohmiko They're one of the strains I created after years of work. :-) 

I have to admit though, they are the weirdest strain I've ever worked with!  Their genetic rules just don't seem to follow anything I've seen before.  Fluctuation of color, different grades in the same batch of berries- In my experiments, even Nessie x Wild will wind up mostly Nessies by 2nd generation.  This is the only strain I've heard of that is dominant over wild!

truly a superior line