Cooling sugestions.

Well now that summer has arrived in norther NY. I need suggestions for a fan that I can place on my open top 75 gallon tank to keep it cool. In the past I have just done water changes every other day to keep the tank cool. Don't have time for this with a Todler running a round. So I need some sugestions.

Thanks for the suggestion of a chiller but the chances of finding a used one up here are slim, as we only have about 5-10 90+ degree days a year up here. I guess I will need to continue with the water changes, and running the AC. As far as a room air conditioners go, I looked into these but consumers reports gave them all abysmal rating and found them to be inefective.

If you have big tank or many tanks, using AC to cool the entire room is most economical, especially you already have AC installed. Chiller is not effective and suck the energy crazily. 

This is what I do:

1. Close any door or seal up the places that your tank is located.
  2. Blast your AC to full power until it reaches the lowest temperature it can go, which takes 15 to 30 mins.
  3. Switch the AC to "Drying" or "Humidifying" mode and set the temperature to 71 to 73F with fan speed set at automatic.

In this way, your room will be at 71 to 77F most of the time. Probably during mid day, it will be at 77F but since you have a 75G tank (larger water body), the water will not heat up so fast.

You could try adding gallon jugs of frozen water to the tank....not sure how quickly that would drop the temp or how long it would stay down but you may be able to work out a system that works

Thanks for the sugestion. I was thinking about adding cold packs. I think I'm going to just do daily large volume water changes combined with ac and a fan until we get back into the 80 ' s which should be Wednesday. Once that happens our night temperature s will be back into the 60 ' s so I can do the air exchange thing.

Not realy I have well water and the peramiters are very stable. My well screen is in a sand formation so my biggest issue when I start a new tank is diatoms. I was trying to avoid them because I spend most evening chasing a toddler. Till 8 then I relax until ten and get up at four to do it all over again.

Not realy I have well water and the peramiters are very stable. My well screen is in a sand formation so my biggest issue when I start a new tank is diatoms. I was trying to avoid them because I spend most evening chasing a toddler. Till 8 then I relax until ten and get up at four to do it all over again.

For diatom issue, just reduce the lighting intensity for the first 2 month, dose a little PO4 and keep at least 6 otocinlus. These will keep the diatom in check.

For best result, perform fishless plantless cycle with blackout for 2 to 3 weeks upfront.

Well I have been doing water changes nighty dropping my tank from 82 degrees to about 72-74 degrees with no adverse affects. Only down side is my tank is completely covered in condisate. But this should do it summer is over up here back to 70s in the day and 45-55 at night.

I would check into a fan bro, that's the reason I'm moving to the basment. We have central air but it doesn't get that hot to blast it all the time. This week though man been brutal have been working outside lol

-Chris

I would check into a fan bro, that's the reason I'm moving to the basment. We have central air but it doesn't get that hot to blast it all the time. This week though man been brutal have been working outside lol

-Chris

+1.

There's some powerful fans that are just too efficient not to use.

Posted Image

This fan can be purchased off eBay and it's crazy effective at cooling. I'm not sure how hot it gets where you live but here in California on 90 degree days this fan is keeping my tank at a nice cool 72-73 degrees. I bet it could cool it more but I have my heater on.

The fans comes from china. If you don't mind the 2-3 weeks (always plan ahead) it'll cost you 15$ for a 2 pc fan setup and 24$ for a 4 pc fan setup. Shipping is free and it comes with US voltage plug adaptor already rated for US voltage.

This badboy moves so much air the only problem I have is the crazy evaporation. I have about 5gal worth of evaporation between my 10g and 17g. Besides that, the fan is super!

That's quite the fan and exactly what I need. I see your rank is rimless how wide are the feet it hooks on with. I have and old tank so nearly 1/2 glass plus the rim that has a lip that would hold the glass tops. Also what should I search for to locate it.

That's quite the fan and exactly what I need. I see your rank is rimless how wide are the feet it hooks on with. I have and old tank so nearly 1/2 glass plus the rim that has a lip that would hold the glass tops. Also what should I search for to locate it.[/quote

The feet of the fan has screws that allows fits for rimmed and rimless aquariums.

These fans are loud beasts.