High Grade RCS or Bloody Mary Neos? Breed more true? Better looking?

Was thinking either Taiwan/Sakura Fire Reds or Painted Fire Reds or some nice Blood Marys.

I haven't only seen pics of them and not in person, so I don't fully trust my judgement as I haven't seen them in person.

Personally I kind of don't like the dull, matte red, rough-exoskeleton, looking Painteds. But again I haven't seen them in person.

Then again I might just be weird like that since I tend to like the low S "grade" shrimp over the higher SS, SSS grades (depends).

Would do you think looks better in person/is more striking in appearance (in contrast to green plants?)?

Do either tend to breed more true (off spring tend to stay high grade)?

How about the young shrimplets, do either color variation tend to have their young color up faster?

The best advice I can give, find a source you trust. Sadly these days, mis-marketing is everywhere.

I have Painted Fire Reds that I love, but they took quite a while to find the grade I was happy with.

I've ordered "Bloody Marys" twice now, and both times was disappointed due to improper naming, either purposeful or not.

Both will require culling to maintain proper color.

My painted currently, photos were taken without flash so you can get an idea... I think the Marys would shine much more so

post-1971-0-77899700-1449574225_thumb.jp   post-1971-0-08320400-1449574504_thumb.jp

I'm finding fewer and fewer people offering True Bloody Marys.  Most often people are selling fire reds and calling them BM.  Bloody Mary's are supposed to have a see through shell with red tissue.  Fire reds have pigment on the shell.

Also, BM don't breed true.  You always have a percentage of other colors that are thrown that you'll have to cull.

Painted are often dull, but the thickness of pigment on the shell is SOLID.  I love painted myself.

Take a look at Fire Reds.  The pigment on the shell completely covers, but is still thin enough to see through.

Funny you should show that photo, Poopians.

C-sky were the originators of BM.  They put out this photo for proof of a different strain and how to tell the difference between a "real" BM and counterfeit BM....then they started selling BM with long rostrums as well.

Shrimpers then had the assumption that this photo was not accurate and only put out for marketing purposes.  This caused such an uproar in the shrimp community and such backlash, I understand they had to change their name.  I'm having challenges finding references to it though...

Yes Poopians, I also use the rostrum as a guide but as Soothing shrimp said, you never know what you gonna get from a supplier.

I have Taiwan fire reds and they are really bright red, I love these guys and girls, so can really recommend on getting some of them, but obviously different suppliers have different type of TFR shrimp

I have also noticed, as with Bloody Mary, around half are not as colourful, so from each batch of babies I cull around 50%, but on the other hand, seeing that these are noes and breed so prolific it really isn't a issue culling 50% of new babies.

a pic of my TFReds

IMG_5896_zpsrztdxt0z.jpg

These are the culls, you can see that even they are a nice red when getting a little bigger

photo_zpssw3tv1xc.jpg

Heres how i can figure out if one is a PFR/FR or BM.

The difference is in the shell coloring if you have a macro lens you can tell. Also you can put each shrimp on something white or have a pretty decent amount of light shined on top of the shrimp. This will show the transparency of the BM vs PFR/FR.

post-2551-0-89205300-1449601543_thumb.jp

Fire Red

post-2551-0-18304700-1449601635_thumb.jp

Bloody Mary

Yes Poopians, I also use the rostrum as a guide but as Soothing shrimp said, you never know what you gonna get from a supplier.

I have Taiwan fire reds and they are really bright red, I love these guys and girls, so can really recommend on getting some of them, but obviously different suppliers have different type of TFR shrimp

I have also noticed, as with Bloody Mary, around half are not as colourful, so from each batch of babies I cull around 50%, but on the other hand, seeing that these are noes and breed so prolific it really isn't a issue culling 50% of new babies.

a pic of my TFReds

IMG_5896_zpsrztdxt0z.jpg

These are the culls, you can see that even they are a nice red when getting a little bigger

photo_zpssw3tv1xc.jpg

holy nice pfr!!! 

Thanks for all the great help everyone! Very much appreciated. And very nice pictures.

From the info. given, I think I would personally go with some Fire Red variety then if they breed more true than Blood Marys. I wanted a colony that wouldn't require so much culling to keep the line looking nice.

Don't want to derail the thread off the red shrimp, but are there any other Neo colors (Orange, Blue, Yellow, etc,) that breed more true (stay higher grade of their color)? I've heard Neon Yellows breed 90% true or more, or is that false and pretty much all Neos need the same amount of culling to keep their intense coloration? I am even willing to pay for the more expensive Neos like Sea Sky (C-Sky) Blue Neos if they breed "more true".

By the way, do shrimp with colored (red in this case) exoskeleton/shells shed/molt colored shells? Or do shrimp have two "shells" (like snails do, hard and soft, calcium and carbonate) and the molt would still be clear/transparent?

Just saw someone had red colored "molts" and they weren't sure if a dead shrimp or just a red molt. Thought I'd ask.

I don't have bloody Mary so no help there, but I have painted fire reds and really like them. I would guess they are more dull then pictures of bloody Mary I've seen but I think if kept in the right perameters and fed well they look really nice.

I like the solid looking shells.