Söchting Oydator Solution

Hi fellow shrimpers! I recently purchased a Söchting Oydator Mini and had a couple of questions I couldn't find answers to. My first question is what is the purpose of the 6% hydrogen peroxide? Also why can't you use regular pharmacy hydrogen peroxide? I know it is 3% instead of 6% but what is the difference?

Any info would be appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 6% hydrogen peroxide solution is supply the oxydator with oxygen - it reacts with the catalyst to produce pure O2 and is consumed as oxygen is produced.

you cannot use regular pharmacy grade H2O2 as it contain fillers and other ingredients that is not safe for human consumption and probably not safe for aquarium use too.  Food grade H202 is safe to consume and safe for aquarium use.  Food grade H2O2 usually come in a 35% solution; you will need to dilute it with distilled or RO water to produce the standard 6% solution.

6% is the standard solution but if you want to produce oxygen you can use a higher concentration but you will also have to refill it sooner.  So a 12% solution would product twice the amount of oxygen but it will only last 1/2 the amount of time between refills

So why do planted tank hobbyist use 3% h2o2 from phaemacies in their tanks to kill algae? Wouldnt doing this had killed alot of inhabitants and plants. Im just questioning this cause ive used h202 for a year without any effects on shrimps, plants, and fishes

There are several different types of stabilizers for H2O2 so it is hard to know which one is actually in the stuff you buy from the pharmacy and if it would do anything to your tank.  I think you could probably use 3% but it would produce at half the normal rate so you would need a larger oxygenator to do the same sized tank.  Additionally the stabilizers they add slows down the reaction so they will release the O2 even slower then using food grade and diluting it down to 6%.

There are several different types of stabilizers for H2O2 so it is hard to know which one is actually in the stuff you buy from the pharmacy and if it would do anything to your tank. I think you could probably use 3% but it would produce at half the normal rate so you would need a larger oxygenator to do the same sized tank. Additionally the stabilizers they add slows down the reaction so they will release the O2 even slower then using food grade and diluting it down to 6%.

So in the long run it is easier to just use the 6%?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would think so but I haven't tried using the 3%

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• 5 weeks later...

Is sochting oxydator new in usa?

Here it is available for a long time and everybody uses it! It greatly helps to reduce death percentage!

I have 3% and 6%

3% great but it is 2x faster empty then 6%

6% more O2 and goes 2x more then 3% and 3× cheaper

Is sochting oxydator new in usa?

Here it is available for a long time and everybody uses it! It greatly helps to reduce death percentage!

I have 3% and 6%

3% great but it is 2x faster empty then 6%

6% more O2 and goes 2x more then 3% and 3× cheaper

No Will I believe was one of the first real online stores to sell it, shortly after I also aquired it.  We've had it for a few years now. You use to be able to buy direct from from another site, but they never seemed to have it in stock.

No Will I believe was one of the first real online stores to sell it, shortly after I also aquired it.  We've had it for a few years now. You use to be able to buy direct from from another site, but they never seemed to have it in stock.

???????????

idk when it came to USA but here in EU it came early on market ;)

"Make-Your-Own" Solution:

Here's a link to information and a source where you can purchase the proper ("food") grade of 35% Hydrogen Peroxide -- which you must "dilute" with pure distilled water to achieve the desired concentration as follows:

1 part
 35% Hydrogen Peroxide to
6 parts
 distilled water yields the recommended 6% solution.

For example:
1/4 cup
of 35% Hydrogen Peroxide plus
1 1/2 cups 
of distilled water =
1 3/4 cups
of 6% Hydrogen Peroxide.

A 1-to-2 ratio of 35% Hydrogen Peroxide to distilled water would yield an 18% Hydrogen Peroxide solution.

A 1-to-3 ratio of 35% Hydrogen Peroxide to distilled water would yield a 12% Hydrogen Peroxide solution.

Thus you can adjust the % Hydrogen Peroxide as desired to accommodate the rate at which oxygen is dispensed into the aquarium.

As of 8/22/09, you can purchase 1 quart of food grade 35% Hydrogen Peroxide for $21.83 plus $9.33 shipping.  They also sell pints and gallons, but don't forget -- you're diluting that 35% Hydrogen Peroxide by a factor of 6-to-1, so 1 quart of 35% Hydrogen Peroxide yields 1 3/4 gallons of 6% Hydrogen Peroxide.

• 2 weeks later...

We put the simplified version on our site long ago.

1 part 35% Hydrogen Peroxide to 6 parts distilled water yields the recommended 6% solution.  For example: 1/4 cup of 35% Hydrogen Peroxide plus 1 1/2 cups of distilled water = 1 3/4 cups of 6% Hydrogen Peroxide

What is the shelf life once you mix the solution down to 6%?

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, I  bought in after reading your reviews.  I put it in my tank and... nothing.  No bubbles.  Did I put the cap on to tight? 

I got 3 and all the same. 

I ran into the same thing with mine. sometime I would see some "micro bubbles" but i figured it was really not worth it and took it back out.