Anyone do coral?

Soothing Shrimp

I was running a reef tank before I came over to the shrimp world. It was alot of work though and became too much every night for me so I shut it down and went freshwater. I was sick of going to the lfs to get buckets of rodi water and lugging them down to my basement to mix the salt. Of course what am i doing today? Lol Going to the lfs for buckets of rodi water lugging them to the basement and mixing with salty shrimp gh+. Lol I think it is time to buy my own rodi.

Reef tanks are beautiful and i will be back some day but everything was a bit more expensive and time consuming. There is an amazing local reef community though, boston reefers, that reminds me of this forum. Lots of folks sharing info and it was always cheaper to buy frags from the locals that were tank bred.

Soothing shrimp- i beg you not to venture into reef tanks. You will get hooked and we NEED you here! I still need some of your chocolate diamonds. LOL

I was running a reef tank before I came over to the shrimp world. It was alot of work though and became too much every night for me so I shut it down and went freshwater. I was sick of going to the lfs to get buckets of rodi water and lugging them down to my basement to mix the salt. Of course what am i doing today? Lol Going to the lfs for buckets of rodi water lugging them to the basement and mixing with salty shrimp gh+. Lol I think it is time to buy my own rodi.

Reef tanks are beautiful and i will be back some day but everything was a bit more expensive and time consuming. There is an amazing local reef community though, boston reefers, that reminds me of this forum. Lots of folks sharing info and it was always cheaper to buy frags from the locals that were tank bred.

Soothing shrimp- i beg you not to venture into reef tanks. You will get hooked and we NEED you here! I still need some of your chocolate diamonds. LOL

Salt is stunning be it full blown reef of a fowler set up which I had in 70s, early 80s .

Now its so much easier but live stock is so much more expensive as no regulations back in those days and we would collect our own live rock, etc .

I think Boston and the NY Aquarium club are supposed to be the best .

'' Lol Going to the lfs for buckets of rodi water lugging them to the basement''

That is a pain and why you had enough . 

Soothing, if you are interested in a desktop reef tank check out my ~1 gallon build : http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/311167-miniature-zoas-garden/  it even has stand and sump underneath.

Here couple pictures from the journal. 

attachicon.gifPico201.jpgattachicon.gifPico211.jpg

I most certainly will!  Thanks!

First Reef Tank

http://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/First-Reef-Tank.207705/

I run an aqua clear 20 with carbon and rock rubble. My lighting is a current orbit marine led. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just looked up the Orbit and it got high ratings .

Are you happy with it ?

I ask as you say your lighting is CURRENTLY Orbit Marine thus it seems you plan to change it or perhaps I'm reading to much into it .

I am considering a 20 long with mushroom and the Orbit looks good .

I know nothing about led .

I just looked up the Orbit and it got high ratings .

Are you happy with it ?

I ask as you say your lighting is CURRENTLY Orbit Marine thus it seems you plan to change it or perhaps I'm reading to much into it .

I am considering a 20 long with mushroom and the Orbit looks good .

I know nothing about led .

The name of the light is Current Orbit Marine. I am really happy it keeps lps, softies, and my anemone alive and healthy. The orbit could totally grow mushrooms.

The name of the light is Current Orbit Marine. I am really happy it keeps lps, softies, and my anemone alive and healthy. The orbit could totally grow mushrooms.

Lol oh I see .

Either way looked it up on Amazon and high ratings and good price.

I'm thinking of 20 gallon long for two Picasso clowns , feather dusters , 10lbs live rock and mushrooms .  As you know the mushrooms are only one's that need special light so the orbit looks great .

I was looking at led and know nothing about them but did not come across the Orbit before .

BTW, I read on the link that you listed that you had a clown which passed when you went away and your friend took care of the tank.

Did you add any other fish in his place ?

Picasso clowns are my all time favorite saltwater fish! I would suggest looking into dry rock as well, Brs reef saver rock is what is in my tank and it is great. Dry rock is super cheap compared to live rock and it is guaranteed to have no pests. Also always buy more rock than you think you need so you can be sure to get some good pieces. Also consider a bubble tip anemone, your clowns will thank you, and the orbit will be plenty to keep it healthy!

Thanks there is a pet store I go to called Exotic Aquariums which carries man made reef rocks . They place them in bulk in their saltwater system and the rocks look very nice with coralline , granted newer rocks are just plain.

I need to see the rock I'm buying , pick it out lol .

The problem for me with anemones is that I love feather dusters and mushrooms and a wandering anemone or possibility of wandering is a problem.

A friends son has a carpet anemone which is stunning and one night after 2 years it moved and stung and killed a few soft corals .

''Picasso clowns are my all time favorite saltwater fish!''

I love them as far as the not insanely expensive clowns but yet different

Have you seen the lightning clowns ---

http://reefbuilders.com/files/ngg_featured/lightning-maroon-clownfish-620x371.jpg

or the pricey blue clowns --

http://www.saltwateraquarium.com/lightning-electric-blue-clownfish.html

I have a saltwater tank at the moment. Sadly I will probably e tearing it down by the end of the month. Will be moving a few cities away middle of this year and I figure it's better to do it now so I can save for the move haha.

To be honest I feel like "hardcore" shrimping is like the precursor to saltwater. It wasn't that difficult for me besides all the cool stuff I want haha. You definitely need to keep in mind more things but as long as you keep up on dosing or week/biweekly water changes it isn't too difficult. Then you stupidly accept a donation fish that gives gives ich to the rest of your fish killing them and the donation.... But the one sob damsel lives. WWHYYYYY.

Here's a few shots of my tank and its inhabitants.

499154888e13e4d91974c9b985e8e7af.jpg

3ea4ffe7b702bbacacc167d2b80a247c.jpg

1a82873b9983185d83cd22013745c913.jpg

My favorite and most recent addition

adce3a228639969f04de5e173d7a36fa.jpg

-Duffy

Any suggestions on colorful beginner frags that grow fast?  As in shrimp, I feel the best way to get into the hobby is to feel successful in a short time.  If I can get some that look great and grow rapidly, I'm less likely to become discouraged . :)

BTW  Those tanks are awesome!  I'm thinking more of a frag tank set up like this:

s-l1000.jpg

But homemade.  Perhaps with the light grids.

Fast is relative in saltwater haha. I would say Zoas/palys probably grow the fastest (I'm still a notice tho so anyone can chime in if I'm wrong). Besides maybe SPS like acroporas. They need high light and lots of water movement and pristine water though

-Duffy

Fast is relative in saltwater haha. I would say Zoas/palys probably grow the fastest (I'm still a notice tho so anyone can chime in if I'm wrong). Besides maybe SPS like acroporas. They need high light and lots of water movement and pristine water though

-Duffy

Id agree that zoas and palys grow fast and are relatively easy keep alive. Research the paly toxin though prior to messing with them. You MUST use caution when dealing with those corals. The toxin is no joke.

I also had quick success with growing and propagating any of the mushrooms, as well as green star polyp. Check out pulsing xenia also. It grows like a weed that reefers use to offer it up free on the local forum. Once it is in your tank though it is near possible to get rid off. I found it beautiful though so was happy to have it growing in my tank.

Any suggestions on colorful beginner frags that grow fast? As in shrimp, I feel the best way to get into the hobby is to feel successful in a short time. If I can get some that look great and grow rapidly, I'm less likely to become discouraged . :)

BTW Those tanks are awesome! I'm thinking more of a frag tank set up like this:

s-l1000.jpg

But homemade. Perhaps with the light grids.

Just like shrimping, one tank is never enough! A frag tank could be cool to start with, however I would personally consider an All in one tank, but that is completely preference. Sps will most likely make you become discouraged, usually with slow growth and are extremely sensitive. Start with Zoas (look up fruit loop, bam bam, and rasta Zoas) , softies, and Lps (large polyp stony corals). Things like acans, torches and hammer corals are awesome. After you feel confident start to venture into sps.

I like to think of sps corals as the pinto to the saltwater world!