Starting the shrimp hobby..Colorado Springs, CO

thetank2112

Hey everyone, new to the forum and the world of shrimp keeping. I am going to be starting a nano 5.5 gallon crystal red shrimp planted tank. Check out my video. I am going to document the whole process.

My Setup

I currently have a 20 gallon planted tank with a few fish. Unfortunately shrimp would not be compatible with one of the tank mates so i'm starting a whole new tank!! Cant wait for the plant order to come in!!

Hope to hear from you

- Matt

Side note: Does anyone on here breed CRS and sell them?

Welcome thetank2112! We are glad to have you, many many people on this forum breed and sell CRS. Post in the MarketPlace if your looking for a specific grade or quantity and I am sure someone will be more than happy to help.

Welcome!

Deta is correct. :)  The folks on this forum are hobbyists and mostly sell from their own tanks.  So they know the shrimp backgrounds, want the best for their own shrimp, so will pass those onto you.  Prices vary, so be sure to look at that and their feedback. :)

A Vlog sounds like a neat idea!

Hey everyone, new to the forum and the world of shrimp keeping. I am going to be starting a nano 5.5 gallon crystal red shrimp planted tank. Check out my video. I am going to document the whole process.

My Setup

I currently have a 20 gallon planted tank with a few fish. Unfortunately shrimp would not be compatible with one of the tank mates so i'm starting a whole new tank!! Cant wait for the plant order to come in!!

Hope to hear from you

- Matt

Side note: Does anyone on here breed CRS and sell them?

I looked at the video and I also use CFL bulbs which I find great for plants BUT the bright white CFL bulbs are much better than the day light bulbs and the soft white are the worse .   They work but nothing as well as the bright white bulbs

The bright white bulbs make for lousy pics as the cell phone pics up green light which is invisible to the eye while the day light and soft white do not but that green light seems to get those plants to grow much better .

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome.   I used the same foam on the intake you have in a multiple tank system with a sump.  Shimplets get though it.  I called the set up a shrimp blender. And will it blend?  Yes.  Most definitively.  How they made it though the 1350gph pump I will never know but some of them survived.  If you get a stainless steel screen from H4n on this forum for your filter it will work much better.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to TSS, I checked out your video and it seems as if you are ready to go. What kind of plants were you thinking for your tank?

Hey thanks! I just finished setting it up. The plants i currently have in the tank are Java Fern, Dwarf Baby Tears, Pigmy Chain Sword, Cabomba, Mermaid Weed(PROSERPINACA PALUSTRIS),

ECHINODORUS PARVIFLORUS TROPICA, Cryptocoryne Wendtii red, LOBELIA CARDINALIS, Cryptocoryne parva and Cryptocoryne spiralis. Check it out: https://youtu.be/KQtv0vwDm74

• 1 month later...

welcome Matt, prepare to waste you hard earn cash on shrimp and shrimp necessities. After your 1st real true experience with a shrimp tank its just a blur to the mind of never ending upgrades and endless amounts of shrimp purchases/breeding and of course MTS, lets not forget MTS.

:)

Proserpinaca palustris- Marsh mermaid weed! Great plant. Grows really quick (and red) with a 30" finnex planted+ and co2 injection in my 20L. I'm sure it'll do you well, especially with shrimp only... The only time I had poor luck with it was when I made the mistake of putting it in with a pleco. It doesn't have hearty enough stems to handle the pleco's roughness.