Pumped....

randy

EEECB 15yrs

additional "filtration" is steady slow drip of water into the tanks and excess flows out a bulkhead fitting usually in the bottom of the tanks. 

How do you keep a bulkhead in the bottom of the tank without the water running out?  All I understand is an overflow.

A bulkhead fitting is just the part with the 2 seals on either side. you can have many additional parts added onto the fitting itself.

borrowed this photo from my friend Gevin Chin.

10363414_896194630399970_57657460684219210524198_896194267066673_379992028833741

Seems like a really good idea for racks. Anyone know if it's safe to drill those petco rimmed 10gal and know how to do it? I was thinking of doing a rack and centralizing everything.

Thanks Boston!  How do you add a drip?

There are a couple different ways... let me dig up some photos and i'll edit this post.

1 way is have your RO unit handle the top offs with float valves on each tank. this is probably the more expensive setup way but also a bit more conservative way because this doesnt waste water constantly dripping into the tank and out the overflow.  but its complex. 

15660256707_e65fcea4f9_b.jpg

2nd way involves large holding tanks on the top shelf of the RO water and a system of pvc tubes with small adjustable valve that allows you to control the drip speed.  your RO unit fills the holding tank on the top shelf and then you gravity feed the drip into the tanks.  you can either let it slow drip 24x7 but you need a overflow for the excessive water or you can just manually use it to top off.

.....searching for photos that can explain it a little better.....

of course there are a few variations on both these styles. really depends on number of tanks, how much time you want to invest daily, water supply, etc.

Seems like a really good idea for racks. Anyone know if it's safe to drill those petco rimmed 10gal and know how to do it? I was thinking of doing a rack and centralizing everything.

most tanks we have in the US arent ok to drill on the bottom.  I forget the exact method but there is a way to check if the glass is safe to drill... 

most tanks we have in the US arent ok to drill on the bottom.  I forget the exact method but there is a way to check if the glass is safe to drill... 

Correct, unless you get custom made tank from (ex. glasscages.)

we can drill the back side, and use elbow fitting to do the same.

Look at the glass through polarized sun glasses, look at the glass at different angles, if you see black lines you have tempered glass. A LCD screen behind the glass helps make it more obvious.

Heres a short little write up to help determine if your glass is tempered or not. http://glass-fish-tanks.com/how-to-tell-if-your-fish-tank-is-tempered-glass/

I believe most AGA and Aqueon have tempered glass on the bottom, drilling bottom panel is not recommended.

http://www.aqueonproducts.com/education/faq/

2nd way involves large holding tanks on the top shelf of the RO water and a system of pvc tubes with small adjustable valve that allows you to control the drip speed.  your RO unit fills the holding tank on the top shelf and then you gravity feed the drip into the tanks.  you can either let it slow drip 24x7 but you need a overflow for the excessive water or you can just manually use it to top off.

of course there are a few variations on both these styles. really depends on number of tanks, how much time you want to invest daily, water supply, etc.

Post #89 has an example of the large RO tanks feeding to float valves for ATO.

There are a couple different ways... let me dig up some photos and i'll edit this post.

1 way is have your RO unit handle the top offs with float valves on each tank. this is probably the more expensive setup way but also a bit more conservative way because this doesnt waste water constantly dripping into the tank and out the overflow.  but its complex. 

15660256707_e65fcea4f9_b.jpg

I been using method one for all my racks and while float valves (more specifically the float valve tank bracket / mount) can get pricey, it make maintenance and top-ups super easy.  Definitely worth the investment but those brackets are designed to fit rimless tanks or tanks with thin trims.  

To drill the hole on glass, you need this glass drill bits:

and adding some soap to water as coolant. 

post-231-0-39399200-1416675019_thumb.jpg