Pumped....

randy

So the ticket is booked, I will spend three weeks in Taiwan starting soon. Main purpose is to visit my families there, but my shrimp breeder friends have already booked a solid week for a shrimp breeder tour.

Background Info: Taiwan is a small island in south east Asia between Japan and The Philippines, about 250 miles long, and 90 miles wide, with a population of 23 millions.

We will start from Northern Taiwan, visiting a few stores including Crimson Taiwan and a few other stores, then to the central island for some more breeders with small/medium operation, then hit the southern Taiwan to see those really big operation.

I will take lots of pictures, and do some mini interviews on breeders and companies. I will be posting interviews here on the shrimpspot, and real time updates via FB. I will be getting some sample products and will be getting some freebies for ROAK for our forum members as well. Pay attention to the FB updates and here in the forum, as I might give random pop quiz to determine who gets the freebies again ;-)

Now, how do I make time go faster?

Some people asked me what shrimps should I take back with me. I do frequent import so I don't really plan to do this. However, there are a few shrimps that are harder to import due to logistics (individual breeders who don't want to risk the two/three stage shipping), so I'm planning to get some sick BB and Shadow Pandas to fortify my breeding crew. What else would you like to see? Also, if you have any questions you would like to get answers, post and I shall try ;-)

Randy the trip sounds incredible, wish I had to opportunity to do the same. I am really looking forward to the photos and updates, what Facebook page will you be posting from? The MK-Breed Facebook page?

Other than what you already named, I don't think there are any particular shrimp that come to mind, unless there are some new mutations we aren't aware of. I know you already imported some Pintos and German OEBTs recently.

Enjoy your trip!!

Not sure which page we'll be using yet, I will make sure it's clearly advertised here in the forum. I will spend a whole week with MK, since I won't have data plan over there, might need to use shrimpwiki or MK's FB page for real time updates (using his phone), then make posts here at night at the hotel. One thing though, people there are really big in drinking (I was warned and threaten already;-), hope I stay sober enough when I get to the hotel ;-)

Next year we do a group tour?

Sounds like a fantastic opportunity!

I'd love to know more on any new vars in neos. :)

Will be at at least one Neo farm, will see many ponds of Neos and if luck has it, photo how they harvest ;-)

Awesome!  I can't wait for the photos to start rolling in

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, MK arranged an one week long tour for me, it will include over 10 breeders in more than 5 cities. Some are pretty famous, some aren't due to being the guys working behind the scene. The scale ranges from around 50 tanks to over 600 tanks.

I'm excited and also worried. It will be a lot of pictures and information to to be published. I will only bring my Note 3 to take simple pictures, MK (he is also a professional photographer) will bring his professional equipment to get  the job done properly (thanks God).

Now, I need your help. Imaging you're going to visit these breeders and do interviews, what questions would you be asking? I want to have a standard questionnaire for all of them so I don't miss anything. I know some of them are doing new colours on bee shrimps, purple, orange (already out), clear (already out), and all different and crazy varieties of pintos. Some, maybe even all may not want me to reveal too much, but I will try ;-)

So, send your questions here in this post. I, again, will provide prizes ;-)

Tank set up

Hi Tigori, when allowed, I will sure have pictures of every breeder's set up.

I'd be interested in knowing if anyone has achieved true breeding vars of TB

I'd love some photos of nice solid opaque TiBs- even better than Monica has if possible.

My own mind is focused on new *true breeding* vars and mutations.  Anyone can have a phenotype appear- it is the real work to make it breed true. ;)

Also, is anyone working on breeding a GIANT line of dwarf shrimp?  I know roumers were going around about a year ago, but no proof ever appeared.

Also, it would be interesting to know the view of each breeder as to whether to not OEBT really have vision problems.

Use the standard questions used in breeders 'n keepers. Along with some tailored for that specific breeder based on their focus.

Aside from tank setup and new variations.

1. I would be interested to know their standard Neo and Caridina water parameters. 
  2. What water parameters do they test and how often?
  3. When do they start culling, after F1, F2, etc? What factors do they base their culling?
  4. I would be interested in knowing if anyone is working on a Pure Taiwan Bee Line, like PRL and PBL. I think this is what Soothing was asking:  "I'd be interested in knowing if anyone has achieved true breeding vars of TB"

Ill post more as I come up with more questions. Can't wait for your trip!

I appreciate you trying to specify what I said.  heh  Thanks. :)

However I really did mean true breeding, and not pure. ;)

Didn't know which route you were referring. I didn't want to ask the same question.

This is really exciting, Randy. I will most definitely be following closely for updates!

I agree on the standard parameters for neos/caridina questions.

Awesome! bring some MK-Breed CRS back.

Regarding water parameters:

1, pH

2, Temp

3, GH/KH/TDS

4, NO3

5, Water change schedule

6, Additives / Supplements