bettas at petco

aquariumlover10

That's great, I love bettas! They do have some really awesome ones. I got a really neat black betta there and a HUGE emerald green female that lived for 4 years and I ended up breeding them and they had a ton of babies! Sadly this was a long time ago before I had much knowledge of aquariums and the fry ended up dying (the air wasn't humid or warm enough so their labyrinth organs didn't develop). I would love to try again though. I still always look at the bettas on Aquabid because 1) there are some really interesting and beautiful ones on there 2) it is fun to see the high prices some of the bettas sell for!!

Update: I like that salamander-looking dumbo

Gorgeous! I always end up in front of those horrible 'wall of cups' with the bettas and it's amazing to see how many more types are making their way into the LFSs. 

I have even seen them sell babies.

I have two rather ordinary bettas but I love them

I started with babies from petco now I have my own babies but I'm done with the betas and was going to sell of some breeding pairs of anyone was interested they are still young only one batch of fry each. They just take up too much room and not a lot of reward in the end.

I have kept Bettas for as long as I can remember, and still do.  I have won several competitions with mine.

Here is a link to some of my former show champions.  http://bettaforu.yolasite.com/photo-gallery.php

My favorites are the Black/Yellow and Blue/Yellow halfmoons.  I have had them live to 5 years (3 of them)

I have kept Bettas for as long as I can remember, and still do.  I have won several competitions with mine.

Here is a link to some of my former show champions.  http://bettaforu.yolasite.com/photo-gallery.php

My favorites are the Black/Yellow and Blue/Yellow halfmoons.  I have had them live to 5 years (3 of them)

WOW!! Jaw dropping gorgeous!! I will also have a betta or two. Mine are not fancy but they are pets and like little water puppies that don't need to be taken out for walks, lol. I love their personality so they are only there for enjoyment and I think they just like me for the blood worm treats, :)

Yeah, I want to breed eventually but I don't have the room as of now since I'm in a rental, but I want a SW so bad after I move u should be closer to the beach so I cab get a license and catch fish,crabs,shrimp,corals, starfish,anemones,rock all that stuff :)

I love the second to last one on the middle row :) but they all look awesome :)

When I had mine it would bite me when I fed him :( and it actually hurt.

Im in the process of buying a few more...I have a few shows to go to this year and looking for something special.

I keep the ones I like best, and sell off the others after the show for a discount.

Currently (with the US exchange rate) It will cost me $50+ for one of these Thailand Imports....nothing compares to them!

Yes you can find some very nice ones at the Petco/LFS if you look carefully.  Don't buy any with ripped fins as they already are suffering from Finrot and it will take you 2 weeks of salt bathing every day (yes every day) to help battle it and let the fin regrow.

I absolutely HATE the small containers the petstores keep them in, but as they all are limited to space what can we do.

The purple butterfly HM is very nice, the black butterfly and the blue butterfly are hard to tell because they are not flaring..could be very nice one out of the small container and fed properly.

• 9 months later...

when you buy any betta from a store, make sure you salt bath them everyday to heal any finrot (most all store bettas are suffering from this due to small containers and not enough water changes)  You just need to keep them in a 1 L container and add some fine aquarium salt (just a tiny pinch) once a day after a week any bacteria should be gone and they should be fine to put into a bigger tank.  Don't put rocks or driftwood in with them as they will tear fins on these things.  Moss is also a killer....they get trapped inside it and can't reach the surface for air (had this happen to a champion of mine) will never have moss in my Betta tank again.

holy smokes!

when you buy any betta from a store, make sure you salt bath them everyday to heal any finrot (most all store bettas are suffering from this due to small containers and not enough water changes)  You just need to keep them in a 1 L container and add some fine aquarium salt (just a tiny pinch) once a day after a week any bacteria should be gone and they should be fine to put into a bigger tank.  Don't put rocks or driftwood in with them as they will tear fins on these things.  Moss is also a killer....they get trapped inside it and can't reach the surface for air (had this happen to a champion of mine) will never have moss in my Betta tank again.

This is kinda why I have been reluctant to get bettas. Once you treat the finrot, are they generally healthy if you have proper decor that doesn't damage their fins? Is moss tied to a mesh (or similar) OK to use?

I was at a Petco in my area this Spring and talked with fish Mgr. there who actually knew his stuff! He said these Betta's are directly purchased through an Importer Petco works with but still need to be sent through a Trans-shipper to the local airport for pick-up. Yes, they are very nice If you look closely. I bring an L.E.D. flashlight to really give these a quality looking at. Prices are great too!

Ooo I just got my first betta not that long ago. Sorry for bad pictures his SUPER fast and I struggle getting a good picture.

The first picture is when I first got him & then the rest are of him now after been with me for a month. I know nothing really about how long they live or how big he might get so anyone know if he can get bigger if his roughly 2-3 months old.

Should I take out the huge clump of Fissiden? Also have Buce in there are those safe?

post-168-0-33276400-1449732415_thumb.jpg

post-168-0-79545300-1449732461_thumb.jpg

post-168-0-99247100-1449732493_thumb.jpg

post-168-0-53522400-1449732845_thumb.jpg

Bettas live a fast life!  Sexually mature at 3-4 months old they are over breeding age by 1 year. They usually don't live longer than 2 years. 

However, given good water changes and not overfed, they can and do live to approx. 5 years old and yes they will get bigger as they age.

I have kept 3 Bettas that lived to over 5 years old, 2 males and 1 female and all of them knew their names and would come to the surface to greet me when I called their names from across the room (dismissing the theory that they only come to the surface to look for food and not because they can understand their names)   My Husband watched this happens several times and the Betta could not see me when I called its name, as it was fast asleep on the bottom, but once it heard my voice it rose to the surface and was flitting around looking for me.

If you keep a Betta, talk to it everyday, put it in an area where it can view things going on around it, like the TV, children playing, even pets they are personable fish and respond to stimulation (why people give them a mirror) so include your Betta in your daily life and it will live a lot longer.

Water is the Key to long life in a Betta!   Change water every 3 days, clean up any uneaten food, and don't overdo its house, java fern and some floating plants or a stick of bamboo, Indian almond leaves are all they need.

I have brought in Thailand bred Bettas for resale for many people over the years, and just last year a customer wanted a blue/yellow HM, so I found a gorgeous one for him.  I told him all of the above, about keeping it very simple and easy to clean.  He didn't listen to me, and went ahead and put his new Betta in a 5 gallon planted tank with rocks and ornaments, thinking this would look nice (for WHO???? certainly the Betta didn't care) 2 days later, he contacts me with a photo showing his Betta's fins all ripped from top to bottom (horrible)  I asked him what he had in his tank and he showed  me the picture....yes rocks!  The Betta being inquisitive pushed through the rock, got stuck and ripped itself free to get to the surface and tore all of his fins off.  I tried to help with the salt baths etc, but it was far too late....he died a few days later.  

This was a tragedy, and could have been avoided, so the same law applies to Bettas as with Shrimps......KISS     Keep it simple stupid.  

As for moss tied to mesh.....NO all moss is dense, so the Betta will try to enter it (they like to investigate places of interest) and will get trapped by their fins, if it is dense enough they will not be able to free themselves and suffocate because they can't get to the surface to breathe.

A moss ball would be the only option if moss is something you want in your Betta tank, this is not something the Betta can get inside of.

With the HMF the water is getting filtered pretty good, I would just do a 50% water change once a week...add a pinch of aquarium salt the fine stuff, and he will love the new feel of the water.  If you have substrate, then use snails to clean up any uneaten food, which should help a lot keeping it clean.

By the way I have kept Neos in the same tank as my Betta, watched one sit on its head and he didn't see it. 

baby shrimps well that's up to you....I would rather keep my baby shrimps and feed my Betta with mosquito larvae aka bloodworms, those I DON'T LIKE!

lol.  Too much protein isn't good for them too, and only feed 6 days out of 7....let them go hungry for one day a week, this eliminates waste in their digestive system, stops swimbladder!   Peas and Spirulina flakes are good for constipation too.  If you get swimbladder, immediately lower the water level to just about 4 inchs and provide the Betta with a plant it can lean on, and this helps it reach the surface for air....don't try to feed it unless its looking for food, them give it some small piece of unfrozen pea or spirulina flake.  Keep doing this till it seems to want to swim without going sideways, then you can gradually add water till it can swim properly.   Swimbladder is like having 2 balloons inside your tummy and one bursts, you go sideways sometimes upside down and its like being on a rollercoaster, makes you feel sick.  Many times this is why they won't eat...so don't force the issue, they won't die if they don't eat for a week.