I've got babies! (mischlinge) Now what?

svetilda

Just wanted to share with you guys. I found my first mischling babies today! The nother was married since Halloween and still full of eggs but I found 1 baby in the morning today and I see 2 right now (not sure if one of the babies is the morning baby).

I bought 7 mischlinge shrimp from Joe's on Oct.2 and as I said one of them got berried on Halloween. The babies I see are mischlinge no TBs, at least yet. But I'm so happy with any of them!

Sorry guys, I know you will understand my feelings!

Tried to take pictures but my camera is too old for such small things.

post-2484-0-84849600-1449284099_thumb.jp

post-2484-0-97304800-1449284218_thumb.jp

• 3 weeks later...

OK, the babies are almost 3 weeks old now. No way they're about 1 cm asmentioned on Shrimp Daddy site. Maybe the biggest ones are 0.5 cm and the rest are way smaller. I see only mischling babies but some of them are darker (maybe even black? but I can't tell for sure now). I tried to count them and I see 16-18 babies. Is it a good amount of survived? The mamma shrimp was full of eggs but I couldn't estimate the count.

And now I have some questions.

1. I undestand that I should cull males.

2. Do not keep too many females (I'm not sure yet if I'll keep any of them).

3. I understand the babies are still mischlinge? Or not? How should I advertise them in case of selling?

4. If I decided to keep some of the females, what should I look for in them? Dark red, bright/solid white, stripes/no stripes, what? I'm really lost here.

5. If my dark babies are dark red, are they wine red shrimp? What is a wine red shrimp?

Sorry for all these questions! And thank you very much!

Well for question 4, if you want good looking mischlings then I guess you can look for whatever pattern you want. BUT mischlings are pretty colorless, their white is a dirty white and clear. Also if I were you I wouldn't care of how they would look due to only wanting to get TB's out of them. So, it just depends what you want to do, not us

Also look up wine red shrimp on Joes aqua, they are Taiwan bees that have a Ruby color to them, there's a red King Kong where it's basically a black King Kong except with the ruby color, a wine red panda which is like a black panda but with the ruby red, and an extreme wine red with all ruby red for its body, but sometimes some white dots on the tail

Also the babies are mischlings, just the TB gene is diluted due to having being bred back to a mischling. I don't see a point in culling males, unless there are a lot of males, if you want to sell just tell then they are red mischlings offsprings that came from a mischling x mischling cross.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you very much, Jaykidding, for your help!

Right now I have 4 berried shrimp in their half of my 5g tank (1 mischling, 2 BB and one of them is 30 days as pregnant, and 1 panda). So, I've decided to catch all of the babies and put them in their own tank. I caught 40 + 1 got in AB tank with plants somehow +1 more I saw in the main tank but couldn't catch it. Most of them look like CRS to me now but from cross mischling X TB came shrimplets that I don't know what they are. I think they can be CBS but I'm not sure. Their back stripes look reddish but their had look almost black. I tried to take a picture but camera is old and I'm not a good photographer either.

post-2484-0-78745900-1452403421_thumb.jp

post-2484-0-23955300-1452403565_thumb.jp

post-2484-0-56436400-1452403597_thumb.jp

Congrats! Yeah the color looks like a chocolate but at the same time it looks red, but my thought it it actually might be a red panda! Unless you have another picture next to a red mischling, or black panda to see the color differece

Thank you, Jaykidding!

Because I put them in a different tank I can't take a picture next to a black panda. But I'll try tomorrow to take a picture next to a red baby mischling. I can't be sure but I think father of these brown/chocolate babies was a black hinomaru panda.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, having bad days with my TT but was looking at my mischling/CRS/WR babies and found out a few things that are new/interesting for me.

1. I was surprised to find so many babies with very unsymmentrical spots. I know we don't have many symmetrical things in nature but still I was surprised when one spot looks complitelly different from another side. I think people cull these shrimp...

2.  Some of my babies have very broken white color when some are nicely colored. I wish there was a way to make a difference between mischling and CRS. Interesting that my favorite of the bunch (not TB) has a broken white color, almost white (no spots) with, what I think, is a mosura or crown on the had. I'll try to take a picture of it. I think I'll keep it just need to find a tank for it...

3. Found an interesting looking WR guy.

post-2484-0-67069500-1454131259_thumb.jp

post-2484-0-47618100-1454131351_thumb.jp

post-2484-0-28564000-1454131419_thumb.jp

post-2484-0-71063800-1454131525_thumb.jp

post-2484-0-07629200-1454131555_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update.

My mischling mama #1 released new babies a week ago. It's amazing but I see only 3-5 CRS babies, the rest are... pandas!

Now I'm waiting to see that mischling mama #2 will bring. She is ailmost ready, maybe in 2-3 days.

• 1 month later...