Names and faces

Subtletanks91

C'mon, at least you can breed shrimp and trade/sell offspring. They're quiet, odorless, nondestructive, and they even stay where you put them (mostly). They come in all kinds of colors, there are no vet bills involved, they're basically totally awesome.

I do rabbit rescue. I can shut down anyone looking to set me up with someone by pointing out that the other person would have to live with a room full of rabbits - one of whom is a geriatric fellow who never quite grasped the concept of a litter box even when he could hop easily into one. Oh, and I usually have at least one foster animal, and that means permanent poop and pee wars as they fight over territory. No one's even tried to get me to go on a date in years. Best anti-dating weapon ever.

So funny Chibikaie.  My partner and I do dog and cat rescue - We have 3 dogs and 3 cats of our own.  We bring home the old dogs that no one wants from the shelter - Sometimes they are great dogs - sometimes not so much - it is a total crap shoot.  But they are always appreciative.  We bring home the bottle baby kittens.  When they are good to go, they get adopted out.  Shrimp are the cleanest critter I have ever been involved in.  Just ordered 10 more from Mayphly.  But Robin just rolls her eyes when I want to bring in more shrimp.  Dogs, cats okay - but little tiny shrimp - not so much - go figure.  She is afraid our house will be full of tanks.

This is a pic of one of my daughters Kaitlynn with our rescue dog Colette. We call the dog Lettie. Just for the hell of it we did the Wisdom Panel dna test to see what this girl was made up of. You would never know she had all these breeds inher just by looking at her. We got her when she was just 3 months old from Rocket Dog rescue in San Francisco. She'll be 2 this July.

post-89-0-18997100-1421715755_thumb.jpg

post-89-0-94174900-1421715827_thumb.jpg

post-89-0-53856000-1421715837_thumb.jpg

I don't like to have my photo taken (happens when you get old) but I Love taking photos of the dogs.  This is Stella, Vinnie and Danny.  Stella is the pitty, Vinnie is the toy fox terrier and Danny is the mini aussie.  They all have horrific stories.  Stella is 11, Danny 2, and Vinnie 13.  Very loved pooches.

Andy your puppy and daughter are so precious.

And I know of Rocket Dog Rescue.  They have taken many dogs from our county shelter where we volunteer when the shelter is so over populated.  They do such good work placing dogs in their care.

post-414-0-05600100-1421716573_thumb.jpg

post-414-0-80775800-1421716615_thumb.jpg

Interesting, I read that the white may be caused by a bacterial infection. I did not find anything about a symbiotic relationship. In that case the shrimp should benefit from it. It would be good to know if there is any scientific literature about it, to know if it has been studied or people just reached conclusions after observations.

No bacterial infection in the Okayama white tiger shrimp.  Zane on Shrimpnow years ago introduced me to the shrimp he was working with.  He was breeding "white" cherries using this parasite.  He claimed they had no ill effects whatsoever, thought it to be mutually beneficial and males were more white than fems often.  Okayama is where the White Tiger Shrimp come from, and passed from shrimp to shrimp.

While I'm thinking about it, also something to look at is the Nectarine Shrimp.  These were Neo Palmatas with little orange balls or "Nectarines" inside of them.  They used to be offered fairly frequently, however I've not seen them much anymore in the US.  Those balls were parasite cysts that didn't harm the shrimp once the cysts were formed.  The parasite was Acanthocepala and found in China, and needs another host (such as fish or bird) to be passed on again.

palmata._th.jpg

palmata1.jpg

Here's some additional reading on Nectarines: http://www.planetinverts.com/Neocaridina%20palmata%20parasites%20in%20shrimp.html , https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wirbellose.de%2Fklotz%2Fnektarinen.html&edit-text=&act=url

Hey Soothing, Do you think that this might be what is going on with crazyfishlady's shrimp that she said has white things inside of it?

Steve, you should take a look at the Okayama, or white tiger Neocaridina.  It's right up your alley.  The white body is caused by a parasite that is supposed to be symbiotic to the shrimp host.

Here's a couple pics from the net:

NewWhite1.JPG

NewWhite2.JPG

Hey Soothing, Do you think that this might be what is going on with crazyfishlady's shrimp that she said has white things inside of it?

Depends if it was imported or not.  We don't have too many parasites in the US for aquarium shrimp, but I must admit that it seems like it may be *a* parasite with hers.  Bacterial is usually cloudier until paper white.  The way hers was described (unless I understood wrong) was small masses that filled the cavity.  If it is, I have NO idea where it was picked up.

Here's a throwback picture of me. Since it's my old squad I placed an arrow to point me out lol.

My laptop only had a few pictures so it was this or childhood pictures.

Glad you made it back safe and thank you for your service. I live up by fort drum in norther NY, where interaction with the army is nearly a daily occurrence. Right now both of our battalions may be headed back out on deployment it's going to be strange with every one gone.