Chris's Fish Room- Basement Remodel

ctaylor3737

Yea I probably will end up doing a nice wood beam ceiling (forgot what it's called), but do a beam of 1x4s and wrap with crown molding in a grid on ceiling

I've seen those done and looks great. I'm debating on what to do with the main beam in the house. I will probably go with nice stained oak trim. I tore down an old school house from the 1800s have lots of oak and trim. made my 90g stand out of it. a pain to sand but looks amazing.

thinking about boxing the beam and the support poles in and putting trim up.

-Chris

So this weekend's plans:

I am texturing the ceiling, like most development houses built for low cost and the beams were slightly unlevel. Not much but enough to show all the imperfections. Texturing is a great way to finish and hide the flaws. Also requires no sanding and only takes an hour to do!!!

Installing the airlines, finishing the back wall and the wall I'm building up the stairs. I also decided to put a storage area under the stairs with shelves. Will be a place to hide extra stuff! Framing in my water storage room also! I am tiling the floor so will be planning That out this weekend to. Won't get to that will take a week or two to save the cash I need. Was going to use leftover carpet but I would rather get something water proof as I know I will spill stuff lol. Also putting in a floor drain I'll hide in my couch for emergencies just in case of a tank explosion, leak or something random that seems to happen.

Sorry rambling I know but helps me keep organized and keep my ideas together.

-Chris

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Got some things done today. About totally done with the main room. Just have to sand walls one more Time, drywall around the steps and put in switches for the recessed lights. Hope to be ready for tile this weekend. I'm finally going to 8 hour shifts at work. First tjme ever having a normal set shift. I'll have lots of time this week to work on the room.

-Chris

You are a one man work team, bro!

I'm used to it lol. Have all the friends in the world until I need remodeling help lol.

-Chris

Looking good, it's realy starting to come together.

Thanks man. Lots of hard work lol. Decided to put a can light at the bottom of the step, then I don't have to pull a wire up to the top of the steps to turn the lights on down there. The lighting was all wired wierd down there. I put everything on its own circuit. He had them all backwards before and would always blow the breaker. Should work pretty good now! Just Should be able to get the stairs drywalled this evening. Hope to have the room ready to tile this weekend. I have a better schedule this week so will have some time after work!

Seeing it the ditra system was worth getting over the durock backing. It's pretty close in price but from what I'm reading ditra is supposed to better

-Chris

I have always used the durock backing in my floor and wall tiling projects the most critical thing is to make sure it is as flat as possible and completely secure. Use the durock screws.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

So very very productive day. I will be sanding tomorrow and then go pick up my durock and start prepping for tile! Ugh so not excited to do that.

-Chris

Posted Image

Forgot the shot of the steps! Turned out pretty good was scared I made it to high. Its perfect and put the lights on the breaker today so the switch and everything works great!

-Chris