Post Your Shrimp Pics

mayphly

Those are pretty beautiful shrimp.  I would love it if I could order shrimp from Japan.  Unfortunately I think I am pretty much on the opposite side of the world.  Do people know if you live in California if you can order shrimp from Japan?

You could but it will be extremely costly. The shrimp cost is extremely high and the shipping is neither cheap. 

If you rely on importer, they probably will import in the lowest few grades and sell you at high grade price. Or they import a couple high grades and breed with the low grades. End up, you will be getting unstable gene. I do know many distributors are willing to perform the import but no one willing to take the stock as the cost is high and there are too much risks.

The best bet will be someone in US has it, breed only all pure breed together. Then sell them out. However the upfront cost will be obscene and not much people will shallow it. Therefore, not much people will do it. Given said that, I do know someone in West Coast is trying to do this (hopefully he has enough cash to bite the upfront cost bullet). I guess will have to wait. ;)

If you rely on importer, they probably will import in the lowest few grades and sell you at high grade price. Or they import a couple high grades and breed with the low grades. End up, you will be getting unstable gene. I do know many distributors are willing to perform the import but no one willing to take the stock as the cost is high and there are too much risks.

+This is very true. I bought some PRL at $80/ea that ended up so ugly I just tossed them in with my mischling tank and forgot about them and now I can't tell then apart!! Bahahaha.

Really gorgeous shrimps! Those red legs are so captivating... Oh man are they MKs, Benibachi, or Ellen Wangs perhaps? [emoji1]

Wait wahhhh?!? No recognizable lineages? Blah. No good!! Hheheh. I kid. Still beautiful shrimps. You probably saved $$ if you didn't buy a name brand. [emoji6]

LOL!!! Never ask about brand when you are buying shrimp. Just select those that the quality is good to you. ;)

Ahh. Okay thanks for the protip. [emoji4]

This reminded me something interesting about our culture and I would like to share.

When you are buying shrimp in Japan, they will put breeder's name beside all the high grade shrimp tank. This is not to advertise the breeder or brand. Instead, it is to honour the proud creation of the breeder. This is an interesting culture and good culture that they applied everywhere. If anyone is going to Japan and can read Japanese. When you visit a restaurant and fast food chain store, take notice at the black-board at the entrance. They will write who is the farmer for each vegetable and meat source. This is for you to appreciate, honour the creator and say thank you in the heart. :D

This reminded me something interesting about our culture and I would like to share.

When you are buying shrimp in Japan, they will put breeder's name beside all the high grade shrimp tank. This is not to advertise the breeder or brand. Instead, it is to honour the proud creation of the breeder. This is an interesting culture and good culture that they applied everywhere. If anyone is going to Japan and can read Japanese. When you visit a restaurant and fast food chain store, take notice at the black-board at the entrance. They will write who is the farmer for each vegetable and meat source. This is for you to appreciate, honour the creator and say thank you in the heart. :D

thats kinda cool,

Hey guys haven't post any pictures recently so since it is december and christmas is around the corner here are some MK Breed PRLs since they remind me of Candy Canes lol. 

61a320da-301e-4163-9fdf-fcf5d60abd5c_zps

4af3d852-2faa-4635-a628-281a4a21811f_zps

eb94ce34-cb23-4584-9920-e0a60e31a3ca_zps

786dbc3b-7bf7-402c-99ea-0bf0bfb5389a_zps

I've never heard of the Söchting Oxydator.   Your tank looks beautiful and crystal clear, Andy.  The crs and goldens I got from you are doing so great.  They are so beautiful.  I feed a plethora of food choices and they always eat everything.  I wonder if I should look into get one of these oxydators for my tank?

I've never heard of the Söchting Oxydator.   Your tank looks beautiful and crystal clear, Andy.  The crs and goldens I got from you are doing so great.  They are so beautiful.  I feed a plethora of food choices and they always eat everything.  I wonder if I should look into get one of these oxydators for my tank?

I like them, However, I'm not sure if they do much. I like what Soothing said "microbubbles vs bubbles". Someone pointed out that due to the increase of O2 in the water column the unit could be detrimental to a shrimps health if you were to tranfer shrimp from a tank using an oxydator to a tank that doesn't use an oxydator.  On the other hand if your acclimating shrimp properly I don't see this as a big deal.

Hey guys, just some pics of the Neos I have!!

Blue velvet S

d07d06e7-c8a4-4699-86a4-89cec32368d3_zps

Fire Red

2291124d-8f28-430d-b817-03e9724d3c85_zps

Bloody Mary (S Grade)

a4931260-9236-41a7-9934-db66b6372473_zps

Bloody mary (A grade)

2a248f8d-6aef-4bbf-bf87-2ab7da1c8a81_zps

Golden Shrimp w/ Goldenback

afb69130-b3f9-4a5d-9c6a-39a9ce5096da_zps

Orange Shrimp

5d5d3229-6b9d-4830-9628-246ce0b87484_zps

Snowball Shrimp

ea1cf61a-253e-47e8-9cf9-c4b03f5015c4_zps

Ya I did realize that too when I got them!!! What our supplier told us is that Blue Carbon Rili are black on the head and tail while the BV  are actually dark blue. Also the blue on the body of the blue carbon rili are much lighter in blue.

Ya I did realize that too when I got them!!! What our supplier told us is that Blue Carbon Rili are black on the head and tail while the BV  are actually dark blue. Also the blue on the body of the blue carbon rili are much lighter in blue.

This may be a case of one country calling something different than another country...or a supplier calling something a different name to sell better.  This is a pic of what is referred to as blue velvet in the US:

blue-velvet-freshwater-shrimp.jpg

Some are darker (DBV) some lighter, but they don't have rili markings.

What is pictured here:

d07d06e7-c8a4-4699-86a4-89cec32368d3_zps

is typically called Blue Carbon RIli.  The "black" markings over either the clear or blue body is often caused by dense blue pigment on the shell. 

I understand going with the name that was given you by the supplier, but IMO they are called something different in America. ;)

Either way, they are pretty.