Post Your Shrimp Pics

mayphly

OK I'll play again. Are SW shrimp welcome in this thread?

Since I'm Bongo Shrimp it would make sense that I have Bongo Shrimp (Phyllognathia ceratophthalma):

IMG_1015bs_zpsryxjpyfr.jpg

And one of my Hawaiian Harlequin Shrimp (Hymenocera picta):

IMG_0523bs22_zpsduppn1oq.jpg

Love SW shrimp, they are so colorful! Id love to pluck up the courage to try salt water but it intimidates me to no end.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Just do your research and start out with cheaper corals and easy to keep fish and inverts. Many species are much more forgiving than people make them out to be.

Wow! Those salt water shrimp look amazing! How much do those usually cost if you don't mind me asking?

Thank you! The Bongo Shrimp prices fluctuate with their availability but usually stay around $50 each. The Hawaiian Harlequins are a lot harder to find than the more commonly available indo-pacific species and they are usually around $100 each but sometimes go a lot higher. Remember though, they aren't like fw shrimp and can only be kept singly or in pairs. More than two will fight until a pair is left. That's not true for all sw shrimp but for most.

Just do your research and start out with cheaper corals and easy to keep fish and inverts. Many species are much more forgiving than people make them out to be.

Thank you! The Bongo Shrimp prices fluctuate with their availability but usually stay around $50 each. The Hawaiian Harlequins are a lot harder to find than the more commonly available indo-pacific species and they are usually around $100 each but sometimes go a lot higher. Remember though, they aren't like fw shrimp and can only be kept singly or in pairs. More than two will fight until a pair is left. That's not true for all sw shrimp but for most.

Is it true that Harlequin shrimp feed only on starfish?

Is it true that Harlequin shrimp feed only on starfish?

Yes it's absolutely true. In extreme cases if they are desperate and starving they can also feed on other echinoderms such as sea urchins but if you saw one doing that it wouldn't be a good sign. The Bongo Shrimp are also starfish eaters but they are even more of a pain and only eat micro starfish! It's amazing what nature can come up with.

Bongo, those saltwater shrimp are freakin' awesome!! I keep saying to myself.. one of these days...

Thank you! If you ever decide to get into it lmk and I can offer advice if you were interested. I love all aquatic animals but shrimp of all waters are probably my favorite type of animal. I have this problem where I keep acquiring different kinds... Idk maybe some of you can relate ;).

I’ve been pretty busy this year around work and home projects. The shrimping was left behind and I lost a lot of shrimps. In last 2 months I put a lot of effort to put everything on track. The work starting to pays off. Ones again I can see berried shrimps and little babies grazing around.

Here are some pictures I took last week. Enjoy!

post-415-0-71028500-1448212429_thumb.jpg

post-415-0-95371400-1448212430_thumb.jpg

post-415-0-05314200-1448212432_thumb.jpg

post-415-0-21533800-1448212433_thumb.jpg

post-415-0-45784200-1448212434_thumb.jpg