Post Your Shrimp Pics

mayphly

Do you think any shrimps would want to live here? I sure hope so. Maybe a couple more weeks and the tank will be cycled.

I was going to PM you about receiving the Fissidens. Didn't realized you received it and already posted. They look nice, I hope you enjoy.

Hope none of my Taiwan Bee babies were caught inside that thick growth.... [emoji52]

Chef - Love the fissidens!!!  Beautiful and lush plants - You have provided my future shrimpies with fabulous places to hide!  Thank you

Oh - and I have seen no babies come out of the plants!

Wow Duff - beautiful shrimp at your fish store.  My lfs has carried red cherries before - but they know nothing about shrimp.

We only had red cherry's for awhile, but eventually started bringing in nicer ones. Hasn't been too long since we've had these. Hopefully yours will start carrying more :D

I just love looking through this thread. So many beautiful shrimp. You guys know your stuff!! I have a 10g cycling currently. Have not decided yet which shrimp I want to house. I have had rcs and I like the rili shrimp - they seem pretty hardy. So I guess I should stick with neos. Are there good breeders on this forum that also sell their shrimp? All I can do right now is look at your photos and dream about my tank.

There are a ton of breeders here with great prices. Most are in it for the social aspects and charge prices to keep up with the costs associated with the hobby. Can be expensive to setup and run as many tanks as most have here. Great thing is here youll never really pay retail prices that youll see in most stores. Sime of the rare and "new" strains may shock you but its like everything else supply and demand.

Mayphly,

Mind if I ask for a FTS of your Sulawesi setup? I want to see how you have the housed because I've been thinking about setting up a Sulawesi tank myself but can't figure what plants to use. They have strange requirements so plants seems restrictive.

Needle leaf java ferns and some moss are all ive kept. Others never seem to do good at the higher temps. Id imagine some crypts and anubias would though.

Can I just say a word about cycling since it's been mentioned a few posts ago. Fish-in cycling takes far longer than fishless. Fish-in cycling is unnecessarily cruel to fish as they are subjected to the toxic effects of ammonia and nitrite and during the process their health is reduced along with their lifespan. If you wouldn't do it with shrimp, please don't do it with fish. With fish-in you have to keep doing water changes which reduces the ammonia that the bacteria thrive on thus prolonging the process. Without fish you can cycle a tank in a couple of weeks if you have something like Dr Tim's One and Only or Tetra Safe Start to give the process a kick-start. Otherwise it takes many weeks if not months to cycle the tank properly with fish and you have fish that are compromised at the end of it whether or not they are going back to the LFS.

Sorry if you feel this isn't the appropriate place for this post but I feel very strongly about fish-in cycling (as you can probably tell! lol)

Bostoneric how did you get such great quality iPhone pictures? Do you use HDR mode, macro lens, or just plain and simple point and click?

one of those cheapo macro lens things. need one for iphone6 i guess.

Those 20$ iPhone snap on macro lens are great. It takes some pretty amazing photos if the shrimps are positioned correctly and are close to the glass. The DoF is small but macro is good. I used to use it before I got my camera and macro lens.

Good stuff, BonstonEric. Are those pintos or Taiwan Bee? Legs are black which makes me think Taiwan Bee.

Those 20$ iPhone snap on macro lens are great. It takes some pretty amazing photos if the shrimps are positioned correctly and are close to the glass. The DoF is small but macro is good. I used to use it before I got my camera and macro lens.

Good stuff, BonstonEric. Are those pintos or Taiwan Bee? Legs are black which makes me think Taiwan Bee.

shadow mosura bkk.

Yup, they are great for someone who has no clue about cameras like me. You just need to have a lot of patience. It saves a lot of money but I'm still thinking about upgrading to a real macro setup.

By the way, pintos are supposed to be Taiwan bees too, aren't they? It's just that they have patterns introduced by tiger shrimp genes.

Def true statement, fish in cycling does nothing but harm the fish. Yea it builds beneficial bacteria but it will only build to the level of the one fish that you have, so it is quickly able to be overthrown and overstocked when adding new livestock. I cycle mine with fish food or a piece of shrimp frozen and just let it go, after about a month I really start watching the parameters usually a week out from when I plan on adding something new. Granted anymore I have filters that I cycle to get instant cycled, but I still let the tank mature a month or so to build a good biofilm then I add my filters check the parameters and good to go. Having a mature stable tank is the best thing to have for these guys.