Post Your Shrimp Pics

mayphly

Yup, they are great for someone who has no clue about cameras like me. You just need to have a lot of patience. It saves a lot of money but I'm still thinking about upgrading to a real macro setup.

By the way, pintos are supposed to be Taiwan bees too, aren't they? It's just that they have patterns introduced by tiger shrimp genes.

I completely agree. The only problem (disadvantage really) is that the subject has to be right next to you when you’re taking the picture or else the picture will look distorted. Regardless, at roughly ~$20 these lens are pretty good.

Technically, you’re right about the Pintos being Taiwan Bees, but I don’t classify them as such. Similar to how Taiwan Bee could be considered CRS/CBS since the mutation that created Taiwan Bees originated from CRS/CBS. It’s just nice to have Pintos as Pintos and separate from Taiwan Bees. In terms of parameter requirements, I believe Pintos, Taiwan Bees and CRS/CBS are all kept the same.

shadow mosura bkk.

Pretty sick. Did you buy from Speedie or another importer? I saw that he had Shadow Mosura in his last order but I didn’t order any. Overall, pretty neat.

Pretty sick. Did you buy from Speedie or another importer? I saw that he had Shadow Mosura in his last order but I didn’t order any. Overall, pretty neat.

Nope not from Speedie, from Blue Crown Aquatics, (formerly cskyusa)  Great guys happy to recommend them for shrimp.

Those Pics from your Iphone 5 are AMAZING.  Ive been trying to use my galazy s5 to get pics of the shrimp and not having any luck even though the camera is supposed to be as good.     

Hi guys,

Pictures are here and we will be posting new pictures routinely so look forward to them. Hope you guys like it, also if any other member have some awesome shrimps they like to share please post some pictures as well.

Thank you,

Blue Crown

post-477-0-33119200-1415435577_thumb.jpg

post-477-0-98201400-1415435610_thumb.jpg

post-477-0-51133500-1415435631_thumb.jpg

post-477-0-63276500-1415435653_thumb.jpg

post-477-0-72795800-1415435660.jpg

post-477-0-56763800-1415435669_thumb.jpg

post-477-0-80286900-1415435679_thumb.jpg

post-477-0-73142900-1415435686.jpg

post-477-0-85686600-1415435690_thumb.jpg

Nice pics Blue Crown! About how old is the pink bolt in the pic? I have several that look just like that. I'm hoping they will darken a bit as they get older.

Thanks Mayphyl, we got those about a month ago but they were sub adults so I am guessing probably half a year old maybe more. Currently we have one that is darker than the rest but the coloration isn't that great but I think that is more genetic. Recently got a good supply of MK products too so going to try feeding it MK Red Diamond to see what happens.

There's a few of the all blue ones running around in my tank. I think they run for cover whenever I get the camera out.

post-89-0-32893700-1415548094_thumb.jpg

post-89-0-96388400-1415548351_thumb.jpg

post-89-0-34091300-1415548404_thumb.jpg

post-89-0-25492200-1415548457_thumb.jpg

I was not aware of fishless cycling.  My lfs told me the only way to cycle a tank was to use fish. Well, now I feel badly about putting these danios through this.  My water tests show ammonia: 0.025, nitrite 0, nitrate 0, ph 7.13, tds 180, gh 6.  I am going to take the danios back to the lfs and give them back and try the fishless method.  I may need to ask more questions on how to do this.

I was not aware of fishless cycling.  My lfs told me the only way to cycle a tank was to use fish. Well, now I feel badly about putting these danios through this.  My water tests show ammonia: 0.025, nitrite 0, nitrate 0, ph 7.13, tds 180, gh 6.  I am going to take the danios back to the lfs and give them back and try the fishless method.  I may need to ask more questions on how to do this.

If your total ammonium is only 0.025ppm, why would you worry about your Danios? I doubt they will die.

If you want to play safe, you can put a pack of Purigen in your filter and let your Danios cycle the tank for you (it will be even better if you have live plants). 

I was not aware of fishless cycling. My lfs told me the only way to cycle a tank was to use fish. Well, now I feel badly about putting these danios through this. My water tests show ammonia: 0.025, nitrite 0, nitrate 0, ph 7.13, tds 180, gh 6. I am going to take the danios back to the lfs and give them back and try the fishless method. I may need to ask more questions on how to do this.

I went with a silent cycle, which is one way to do a fishless cycle. Pretty much stock up a minimum 50% of your tank with fast growing plants, add root tabs, and let them do their thing for 2 weeks while doing 25% water changes every few days. Then add some sort of algae eater to get some waste (ammonia) in there. I went with snails. As the ammonia levels rise, plants are able to use that as your beneficial bacteria slowly build up in your filter. I dosed with Dr. Tim's One and Only to speed up the process, but my tank was already starting to get ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings by this point. At week 4, you should be able to add your livestock to the tank.

This is the "quick" way of doing a fishless cycle but requires you to constantly keep an eye on water parameters for any spikes and perform frequent water changes since you are essentially depending on plants to do the work of the biological filter, and plants can only absorb so much. The end goal is to build up the biological filter so that it does most of the work. The plants will hinder this, but since they can perform the work outright, you can add livestock more quickly. The biological filter will build up on its own over time.

The only problem with this method is that this means you will have a fully planted tank in the long run, which will be difficult for you to view/catch the shrimp if you are going to be breeding thrm. That, and the frequent water changes really means you have to be diligent. But I don't mind this at all because I love the "jungle" look in my current set-up. It gives the shrimp a lot of hiding places to do their business and looks more natural. =)

Mayphly all your pictures are making me want a new camera more and more...

Thanks Christina:  I have plenty of java fern and fissidens in the tank - but no other plants.  I have been dosing this tank with MK Z Silver powder and also mulm and rinsing a filter foam from another established tank into the tank.  Can't seem to get it beyond the 0.025 ammonia, 0 nitrite and nitrate.  I have 2 assassin snails I can put in the tank when I take the danios out.

Hi guys,

I apologize beforehand for this post since it is off topic but I just posted our stock list in the marketplace so if you guys have time please take a look at it.

Thank you,

Blue Crown

Okay, danios gone back home to lfs. Now I am going to try fishless cycling.  Adding the assassin snails from other tank in to hopefully get something going.  Was thinking of adding Dr. Toms once and done. Do you guys think this is the best way to go. I have had 1 month of these parameters:  Ammonia 0.025, nitrite 0, nitrate 0..  I have lots of java fern and beautiful fissidens from Ch3f. I've been adding Z Silver powder once a week and squeezing foam filter from established aquarium and mulm from established aquarium every few days.  Still no budging on the water parameters.

Finally got Camkix universal 3-1 camera lense kit, can't wait to test it out tomorrow!!! Will be posting the pictures if the quality is as good as the one bostoneric posted.